sunnydaytodaymamasunnydaytodaymamasunnydaytodaymamasunnydaytodaymamasunnydaytodaymamasunnydaytodaymamasunnydaytodaymama

4 May 2009

On Children

A long time before I became Sunnyboy's mother I was inspired by these words from Kahlil Gibran, and they always gave me hope during the years that I was waiting for him.
On Children

Your children are not your children.
They are the sons and daughters of Life's longing for itself.
They come through you but not from you,
And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.

You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,
which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.
You may strive to be like them, but seek not to make them like you.
For life goes not backward nor tarries with yesterday.

From The Prophet by Kahlil Gibran (1923)



*Operation You is the home of Inspirational Monday. You can get more inspiration there and are invited to stop by and post your links of inspiration.

6 comments:

  1. This is so true. Before I had kids, I used to think that children were just a product of their environment, but I'm finding that is not the case at all. Children are their own little persons with their own little personalities. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of my favourite quotes ever. Very wise words and I believe them to be true with all my hearts. Our job is guide them but they are not ours, never, not at all, a gift we get to enjoy but never really own.

    Breeze

    ReplyDelete
  3. Children are little people. And just like us, they need to just *be*.

    Happy Inspirational Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fascinating quote! I love it. You are such a diva when it comes to understanding the intricancies of parenting! Thank you Sunnyboy's mama for keeping me inspired to allow Ms. J to soar!!! Although, she is so strong willed, I don't have much of a choice..LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this quote. Thanks for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for letting us hear that beautiful rendition on such a wonderful passage. As my children grow I am finding the truth of this more every day. xx

    ReplyDelete